Aji Yulianto

Monday 30 March, 2009

Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi is hoping to play for Italy against the Republic of Ireland and explains his Serie A exile.

Sampdoria marksman Giampaolo Pazzini is the man of the moment after he scored on his Azzurri debut against Montenegro.

Italy are set to play a crucial World Cup 2010 qualifier against Giovanni Trapattoni's Ireland in Bari on Wednesday evening.

“I hope that I will play,” Rossi told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“We will have to see when the team is announced. I don't feel left out because I didn't feature in Podgorica and I am relaxed.

“A 4-4-2 system could suit me best. At Villarreal I play as a second striker, even if we use a 4-2-4 formation. But I will adapt to any position the Coach gives me.”

Rossi then gave his view on the hot topic of Juventus striker Amauri's desire to play for Italy.

“There are lots of foreigners who are available for Italy because everybody wants to play for the world champions,” the former Manchester United man said.

“It's nice because Amauri, Rodrigo Taddei and Dias Felipe are great champions.

“Why don't I play in Italy? It's not my fault. The clubs made their decisions and I have made mine.

“Italian football is changing and there is more space for youngsters now, which is a good thing.

“In England and Spain they have more patience and at Barcelona there are three or four players under 20 who regularly start.”

channel4

Labels: edit post
0 Responses